6.01.2012

Chocolate Chip Spice Doughnuts

I've been playing with my grandma's old recipes. My mom compiled all her recipes into a book and I've been making recipes here and there from it. One is a doughnut recipe, but it called for frying the doughnuts and I wanted to bake them in my doughnut pan and add a few flavors to it. Here's the result. I wasn't going to post this today, but hey, it's National Doughnut Day, so enjoy!



Chocolate Chip Spice Doughnuts
Makes 12 doughnuts

Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking spice (I got mine from Penzeys Spices, but you can sub a mix of nutmeg and cinnamon if you want)
1 egg
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
3/4 cup whole milk
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips (I was out and used regular, slightly chopped up)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease a doughnut pan. Set aside. In a large bowl, whisk dry ingredients. Separately, whisk wet ingredients together, then mix wet into dry until well blended. If dough is too thick, stir in additional milk (I had to add another 1/4 cup the second time I made these). Stir in chocolate chips. Fill doughnut pan basins 3/4 full. Bake in preheated oven for 15-18 minutes, until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Turn out of pan and let cool on cooling rack. Remember to re-grease the pan for the second batch if you only have a six slot pan like I do! Once cool, dip in glaze and let harden.

Glaze
1 cup powdered sugar
4 Tbsp milk
dash of vanilla

Whisk ingredients together in a bowl. Dip doughnuts and let dry on a cooling rack set over wax paper (to catch the drips). Let harden.



I hope you enjoy them as much as we do!


No comments:

Post a Comment